1- Explain a change of intentions or plans.

    ENGLISH GRAMMAR: FUTURE INTENTIONS

It is a way that is used to tell a plan or forecast for the future that you had in the past.

And it is done with was / were going to + infinitive.


This is the past of am / is / are going to, which talk about future plans that we have now.
 Note that many times the sentences with was or were going to have another verb in the past simple, to give more information and context.

I was going to call you, but my phone died.

I was going to be on time, but then my car broke down.

We saw that it was going to rain, so we went back home.

I thought they were going to be at the party.

They were going to get married this fall, but they had to call off the wedding.

You must have known what was going to happen.

Negatives and questions with was / were going to
You can also use was / were going to to form questions and negations.

I knew I wasn't going to get the job, but I went to the interview anyway.

He decided he wasn't going to move to London.

Q: Did n’t you say you were going to ask her out of her?

A: I was going to, but then I found out she has a boyfriend.

EXERCISE:


LINK: https://www.esl-lounge.com/student/grammar/2g20-i-was-going-to.php

Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

The unreal conditional.

NON-COUNT NOUNS